The Government decided to
build adjacent to the Gipps Street entrance to the Gardens, the square
'Bandstand' of Corinthian design and enclosed by a low iron fence. It
was designed and erected by George Dodd in 1864 at a cost of 322 pounds.
In 1863 a volunteer band of the music known as "The Head Quarter's Band" was formed. Once a week, the Fitzroy Gardens and the Prince's Bridge reserve would resound with good music. It was necessary to construct in each reserve a slight enclosure to protect the band from the pressure of the crowd.
In 1864 The Head Quarter’s Band started performing various selections of music. Performing late afternoon or early evening for two hours.